Dixie's last day in Pine Valley

No replies to this topic

#1 Claudine

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,499 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 05:08 PM

Dixie:[to baby] Oh. It's so weird drinking milk again. Warm -- ugh. But it's supposed to help us relax, and that's what we need, right? I just wish I knew where J.R. Was. He's going to come home soon, though, and we'll talk and I'll explain it to him and he'll understand.

[Car approaches]

Dixie: Thank god.

Dixie: Hey, J.R. Hi. I was worried. Tad, hi. Thank you. Where did you find him?

J.R.: He didn't.

Tad: After I got your call, I jumped in the car, i tore all over town looking for him. It wasn't until I got home that i realized --

J.R.: I ambushed him.

Tad: He was at the house waiting for me.

Dixie: Why did you run off like that?

J.R.: Like you didn't need room to pack, mom.

Tad: Pack?

J.R.: I didn't want to be in your way.

Tad: What's he talking about? Are you going somewhere?

J.R.: I didn't tell him anything.

Dixie: Obviously not.

J.R.: I'm not your P.R. man.

Tad: Would somebody like to tell me what's going on?

J.R.: Oh, I'm sure mom would love to fill you in. I'll be in my room, ok?

Dixie: J.R., No, stay with us.

J.R.: You're on your own now, mom -- just like you wanted.

Tad: How shattering is this?

Dixie: It's not.

Tad: Good, I'm glad to hear it. So, fill me in.

Dixie: J.R. Is upset because I told him that I'm going away for a while.

Tad: Yeah, hence the packing comment. Go on.

Dixie: Well, I just decided that my life needs an overhaul.

Tad: And the divorce wasn't enough for you?

Dixie: I'm going to take a six-month course in Europe. J.R. Doesn't understand.

Tad: Well, I do. Six months in Europe? Probably has something to do with that -- you know, that -- his life, that girl that he likes so much in american studies class. He probably doesn't like the idea of leaving her for six months.

Dixie: I told J.R. That I'm -- I want to go alone.

Tad: Why?

Dixie: Well, because, you know, I'm going to be studying and settling in.

Tad: Well, ok. Well, then on the other hand, you know, I probably would have given a lot for six months in Europe at his age.

Dixie: You just said he wouldn't want to leave his girlfriend.

Tad: It doesn't matter. The point is you can't just shut people out. It's no wonder J.R.'s upset.

Dixie: Since when do teenage boys want to spend all their time with their mothers?

Tad: I'm not saying he does.

Dixie: He loves pine valley. He has friends here. Adam is here. You're here.

Tad: Is that the problem? Are you going to Europe to get away from me?

Dixie: No.

Tad: Good, I'm glad to hear it. So don't go. He's clearly upset. Just postpone your trip.

Dixie: This isn't some whim, ok? I've given this a lot of thought. I need to discover who I am again. I need to be alone.

Tad: Ok, ok, don't, you know, lose your temper.

Dixie: Well, I can't help it. This is just not going the way I planned.

Tad: Maybe because you're not being honest.

Dixie: You don't have to make it harder on me.

Tad: I don't see how I can. Do you honestly expect me to believe you're going to leave your son, your home, everything you love, just so you can go off and find yourself? Maybe we should, you know, take this from the top.

Dixie: If you're not going to believe me, what can I do?

Tad: You can tell me the truth. Why would you leave?

Dixie: I hate it when you do that.

Tad: Do what? See right through you?

Dixie: When you pull the old "I know you better than you know yourself" card. Nobody likes it a know-it-all.

Tad: So I'm right?

Dixie: No, you're wrong.

Tad: I'm wrong?

Dixie: Everything I just said before was true. You want me to fill in all the blanks? Fine.

Tad: Thank you. I would appreciate that. Am I going to need a drink for this?

Dixie: I don't know. Maybe you will.

Tad: So, what are you -- what the hell is this? Milk?

Dixie: Yep.

Tad: You hate milk.

Dixie: I was trying to relax.

Tad: You know, if I didn't know you better, I'd say you were having a breakdown. Well, I'm going to have some seltzer. You want any?

Dixie: No, thank you.

Tad: Ok. Go ahead. I'm ready.

Dixie: Ok. The last few years have been rather difficult, agreed?

Tad: Oh, yeah.

Dixie: I'm not trying to erase the past. I'm simply trying to rise above it.

Tad: Ok.

Dixie: I want to feel free to explore what I want to do with my life. What?

Tad: Why do I feel like I'm about to be attacked by Dr. Phil?

Dixie: Maybe you deserve it.

Tad: Yeah, I guess maybe I do. So, by all means, go on. You were saying that you're leaving to nurture your inner child.

Dixie: Oh, for God's sake, don't insult me.

Tad: I'm sorry. Move over. Come on. I'm just trying to make sense of this.

Dixie: Well, maybe you're not supposed to make sense of it. Maybe you're just supposed to accept it.

Tad: I am supposed to -- if I don't understand what's going on, you can't hold it against me. You know something? You've been all over the map lately. I mean, honestly, what was that little, you know, field trip down to the islands there, you know, for our guerrilla divorce? Wasn't that supposed to give you some sense of closure?

Dixie: Well, was that before or after I nearly died? Look, the last year, we both learned how precious and fleeting life can be.

Tad: Yes, absolutely. So, by all means, you know, turn your back on everything you know to hop across the pond.

Dixie: It's not your call. It's my life.

Tad: It's J.R.'s life.

Dixie: I'm thinking about J.R.

Tad: Yeah, I know, I know. This is the part where you tell me that he's your son, not mine, right?

Dixie: I was not going to say that.

Tad: For God's sake, Dixie, think about it. Do you really have to go halfway around the world to do a little soul-searching? Isn't that a bit strange?

Dixie: You know, I don't need you questioning every move i make, ridiculing my decisions. You don't have any right, and I have the divorce papers to prove it.

Tad: You're right.

Dixie: No --

Tad: No, no, you're absolutely right.

Dixie: I'm sorry. I don't want to fight.

Tad: I don't, either. You remember the last time we were alone together in this room? We didn't fight then.

Dixie: No, we didn't.

Tad: Kind of ironic, don't you think? I'd actually come over to tell you that we finally had a court date for our divorce hearing.

Dixie: Yeah, I remember.

Tad: One minute you were crying, I was holding you, and the next minute I'm kissing you. It was too bad. You know, for a moment there, one beautiful moment, I was convinced the divorce was never going to be a part of future, that we managed to make some kind of fresh, wonderful start. We always used to be able to handle whatever life handed to us, together.

Tad: It's always been my dream -- to be with you. Finally, i thought we had a lock on it.

Dixie: Until I kicked you out.

Tad: Well, yeah, that was a bit of a kick in the teeth. Especially since i was expecting you to give me a second chance. Or third or fourth -- I forget. Which is it?

Dixie: You know, I don't know.

Tad: Did I really make it so easy to lose count? I mean, how can two people love each other so much and still lose one another?

Dixie: That's a tough one.

Tad: Yeah.

Dixie: Well, Leslie played a part. So did DeVoid.

Tad: Uh-uh. They couldn't have torn us apart if we felt strong about each other. The truth is I think what we had had started to fall apart before then.

Dixie: Maybe.

Tad: It happened when you were pregnant. Remember, you told me, I freaked out?

Dixie: Yeah, you were worried.

Tad: Worried? No, I was terrified. Dixie, come on. You know, honestly, the thought of you having a baby? Carrying a child? Giving birth? I mean, with your blood pressure, with your heart? That -- that could have easily killed you.

Dixie: Well, it turned out you didn't have to worry.

Tad: That's the problem, isn't it? Because, after you miscarried --

dixie: Don't -- you don't have to say that.

Tad: Yeah, I do because it's the truth. It's the truth. Deep down inside, I was relieved because I knew you couldn't be hurt. No, I mean, that you wouldn't -- you wouldn't die, that you would be all right. You knew that, didn't you?

Dixie: Yeah, I did.

Tad: And it didn't matter. Because you still haven't forgiven me for it.

Dixie: I loved our baby. I just didn't understand why you didn't.

Tad: It's not a question of loving our baby, it is a question of loving you, of being terrified of losing you. I did anyway because, to you, I chose you over our baby. That's when -- that's when something snapped.

Dixie: Maybe things just change, you know? Maybe people just change.

Tad: Well, is there anything i can do about it? Anything at all? I mean, is this thing always going to be there between us?

Dixie: I don't think either one of us is ever going to forget it.

Tad: No. I guess not. Because you know something? Even if I could change it and go back, you know what I would do?

Dixie: You can't. You can't change it.

Tad: I would make the same decision. I'm sorry, but i would. Even knowing what it would do to us, the road it was going to put us on. I would always -- I will always choose your life first. I'm sorry, honey, but I guess i just love you too damn much.

Dixie: [on phone with Adam] I know i said I would call you as soon as J.R. Got in, but Tad has been here and I haven't had a chance. You know what? J.R. Doesn't want to speak to you right now, so i'll call you in the morning. No. No, adam, I'll call you in the morning. Good night. Irritating.

Tad: So -- where were we before the phone rang and you insisted on picking it up? Ah, yes, something about my undying love.

Dixie: Tad, nobody has ever loved me the way you have, but you're not what I need right now.

Tad: Well, couldn't you at least lie a little, for my sake?

Dixie: You see through lies, remember?

Tad: Yeah. Me and my big mouth.

Dixie: Look, I don't need you making decisions for me. I need to take control and make my own decisions.

Tad: Ok, ok. Nobody's -- you know, I got that part. I'm not trying to make your decisions for you, not anymore. So, what decisions do you have to make?

Dixie: You know, my decision to go away for a while seems to have upset you and J.R. Pretty good.

Tad: Yeah. You really think now is the time to do something like this?

Dixie: Tad, stop it. Don't try to talk me out of it.

Tad: I'm not trying to talk you out of it. I'm just saying, you know, it's so soon after -- you nearly died a month ago.

Dixie: And I'm fine now, ok?

Tad: You shouldn't be traveling to someplace like Europe alone.

Dixie: I'm not going to Europe alone. I'm going with Lanie. I'm going to stay with her.

Tad: Well, you never said anything about your sister.

Dixie: Well, I'm sorry. And I have a doctor over there, too, ok?

Tad: Yeah. A referral from Hayward, right?

Dixie: Yes, as a matter of fact. Look, I'm going to try to get J.R. To accept the fact that I'm leaving.

Tad: Good luck.

Dixie: But I would like you to look after him. If you don't mind.

Tad: You don't even have to ask.

Dixie: Well, he's going to need you a lot more when I'm gone.

Tad: There's nothing I wouldn't do for him or you.

Dixie: Tad, don't.

Tad: Don't what? I just said I'd look after J.R. For you.

Dixie: Look, I -- I would like you to go now.

Tad: Now?

Dixie: Yes.

Tad: It's so soon. Will I see you before you leave?

Dixie: I have things to do. I have to make arrangements for our trip.

Tad: "Our" trip? What are you talking about? You said you were traveling alone. You have company? You just told J.R. That you're going solo. Now you got company?

Dixie: No, no, I don't.

Tad: Dixie, what is it? I mean, is lanie coming over and then flying back with you? Is that what's going on?

Dixie: What did I just say, Tad? No.

Tad: You and Hayward aren't, like -- I mean, he's not going to take some kind of sabbatical --

Dixie: No, Tad, I'm tired, ok? J.R.'s mad at me. You're giving me a hard time. So, I used the wrong word. It's a miracle i can form a sentence.

Tad: Ok, I didn't mean to accuse you --

Dixie: Yeah, you did.

Tad: Well, I just don't like the idea of you and Hayward, you know --

Dixie: Yeah, I know. That's not secret.

Tad: I'm sorry i mentioned it.

Dixie: Me, too. Listen, I'm exhausted. Thank you for bringing J.R. Home.

Tad: You should -- you know, if we spoke to him together, maybe he'd feel differently about you leaving.

Dixie: Who are you kidding? He's just as opposed to my going as you are.

Tad: I will present your side of the issue.

Dixie: Tad, no. Thank you. Really, I cannot discuss this any more tonight. Please go.

Tad: I can take a hint. Can I at least talk to you tomorrow after work?

Dixie: Yeah. Tomorrow, after work. Great.

Tad: I mean it. I'm going to call you from the office.

Dixie: Ok.

Tad: Ok.

Dixie: [to the baby] I wanted to tell him. I just couldn't. You heard him. You heard what he said -- he'd choose me over you. He'd do it again. I just couldn't take that. I can't stay here. I can't stay here.

Dixie: [phones] Hi. I need to book a seat on a flight to Zurich, Switzerland. Yeah, I need the earliest possible flight out tomorrow morning.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users